Ohio Project Team
Nick DeMore joined the VLS projects department in June of 2017 as Outside Sales Representative for our Cleveland office.
A native of northeast Ohio, Nick was raised in Eastlake, where he graduated from North High School. He graduated summa cum laude with a BS in Business Management and Leadership from Capella University.
Nick brings over 20 years of sales and client management experience in the event technology industry to his current position as Outside Sales Representative for Vincent Lighting Systems. As Director of Event Technology, Regional Operations Manager and Regional Vice President for three national event technology companies, he has managed many successful ventures, including organizing logistics, staffing and equipment procurement. He has also coordinated technical logistics for some of Cleveland’s largest conventions and premier social events. These responsibilities have provided him with in-depth knowledge and skills to understand the workings of lighting systems, as well as expertise to lead teams to get projects and productions up and running within schedule. His talents have proved valuable to many of our northeast Ohio clients, to ensure their new and renovated lighting systems are successfully implemented.
Random Fun Facts
- Nick and his wife Lisa were married in 1999 at Walt Disney World. Lisa is a nurse at Metro Health Center’s emergency department. They have two boys and between hockey, lacrosse, baseball, cross country and competitive breakdancing they are always on the go.
- A few years ago, the DeMore family rescued a mixed lab named Lucky, who is full of love and personality. He truly is LUCKY: not only was he saved by a loving family, the veterinarian said Lucky was once shot in the hip, where the bullet is still lodged (Nick denies having any role in the shooting of their family’s pet).
- Nick enjoys listening all types of rock music. He is a huge Black Sabbath fan and would argue that “they are easily the most important and influential rock band, period” (and yes, he’s a Beatles and Led Zeppelin fan).
- A Cleveland boy at heart, Nick is a Cleveland Browns fan first and foremost followed by the “rest of them” (Indians, Cavs and the OSU Buckeyes). He loves NHL hockey especially the playoffs.
- Nick loves conspiracies, not because he believes in all of them, but mostly because he’s fascinated by the people that believe in them. That being said, if Nick could go back in time he would like to meet Neil Armstrong to ask if “we really landed on the moon?”
Project Department Manager
Lance Switzer has been involved in acting and technical work since he was a kid growing up in Parma, Ohio. When he was just twelve, he did lighting for a children’s theatre show. After graduation, Lance got a job as technical director for his old high school, then worked with community theatre.
Later, Lance was producer for various business theatre/special event companies, including CineCraft, Creative Production Services and EDR Media; which made Lance a long-time customer of VLS. In 2001, Lance joined our ranks as Project Manager; in 2007, he was promoted to Project Department Manager.
Lance’s favorite type of production to work on are musicals because they contain lots of lighting cues, after all! His favorite gel color is Rosco 53 Pale Lavender; by controlling the intensity, the color is versatile enough to be used for anything.
Random Fun Facts
- Lance enjoys visiting wineries, antique car museums and learning about astronomy.
- He loves all types of classic architecture, with Frank Lloyd Wright being a favorite.
- He has met three of his four favorite celebrities: William Shatner, Jonathan Frid and Vincent Price.
- Lance was a professional motion picture projectionist and radio station engineer out of high school.
Robert Uhl was born and raised in Temperance, Michigan, a little town just outside of Toledo, Ohio. He attended University of Toledo and in his sophomore year, he took Intro to Light and Sound for Theatre. It was an instant attraction. Bob’s first show working backstage was running the sound board for a children’s show. He graduated with a BFA in Theatre Design and Technology, and went on to earn his MFA in Lighting and Sound Design from University of Arizona.
After graduation, Bob worked at the University of South Carolina and Ohio University, both as Assistant Technical Director. In 2007, he answered a job opening ad that we had placed in ArtSearch magazine and was hired as Project Manager.
Bob enjoys working on dance productions most, because the designer is not restrained by standard conventions for lighting. The lighting designer can experiment with color, angle and texture. Bob is a long-time fan of Roscolux 339 Broadway Pink gel. It is an exciting, saturated Pink/Violet color.
Random Fun Facts
- When Bob lived in Los Angeles, he used to go to Dorothy MacGuire’s mansion in Beverly Hills to help do work around the house and have dinner.
- Bob loves to cook and would love to own and run his own restaurant.
- He met James Earl Jones backstage at the Emmy’s.
- Outside of work, his life revolves around his family and friends. He also likes to read thriller novels.
Film and Video Project Manager
Born and (mostly) raised in Pittsburgh, Ellen has had a love for theatre for as long as she can remember; in fact, she claims she popped out of the womb wanting to do theatre. Ellen found lighting in her first tech class in Youngstown State University and never looked back. She earned a Bachelor of Fine Arts and volunteered a good deal in community theatre. In 1995, she came to work for VLS.
She loves doing what she does - so much so that she can’t imagine wanting to do anything else for a living. Her favorite productions to work on are musical theatre. Ellen’s top picks for gel colors are Roscolux 50 and Lee 748, because of their beauty.
Random Fun Facts
- Ellen interned with Eugene O’Neill.
- She interviewed for the VLS Job opening with Paul Vincent over a meal at an Eat-n-Park.
- When not at work, Ellen’s life revolves around her husband, John, church, community theatre, Zumba and yoga.
- She once danced with Harry Chapin.