Ohio Administrative Team
Our Ohio administration team is in charge of working behind the scenes to make sure our paperwork and accounts are all in good order for our customers, vendors, coworkers and associates. Our administration team includes accounts receivable, accounts payable and human resources.
Chief Operating Officer
Behind every successful company, there needs to be a results-driven leader. Here at VLS, we have Pat. Informally known to his friends and coworkers as “Scooz,” Pat is responsible for the areas of business development, operations and finance. He has a great eye for looking differently at a process or situation to analyze how we can make it more efficient. Pat believes in truly understanding the business for whom he’s working, so much so that he has gone out on productions, pulling cable and hanging fixtures to gain hands on experience.
Born, raised and educated in Northeastern Ohio, Pat attended the Boler School of Business at John Carroll University. While there, he worked for a SOHIO gas station, where he became very interested in how the store actually worked. Although he started as an attendant and cashier, Pat quickly learned skills to manage the basic business practices of running a company. Pat earned his BBA in Accounting, then passed the CPA exam.
Since graduation, Pat has worked for top companies, such as Ernst & Young and Dwellworks. He has gained experience in various positions, such as Controller and Director of Finance, and led successful mergers and acquisitions. Along the way, these companies have earned prestigious awards, including the E&Y Entrepreneur of the Year and The CWRU Weatherhead 100. Pat’s skills and drive to continually learn has helped his previous companies enjoy tremendous growth during his tenure. Pat likes being a part of something that is bigger than just himself…”having a positive impact on the greater good.”
Pat and his wife Michelle, a third grade teacher, have been married for 20 plus years. They have three beautiful children: Nate, Madison and Page. On the weekends you can often find Pat coaching his kid’s soccer games or watching on the sidelines. Additionally, Pat donates his time on the Boler School of Business Steering Committee for professional development. He also volunteers with the United Cerebral Palsy of Greater Cleveland, as Program Services Committee Member.
Random Fun Facts
- Pat likes all kinds of movies: action, sports, drama, historical, science fiction…anything with a creative story line and two thumbs up. Pat is your go-to-guy for all things Star Wars; he is even trying to convince us to make the Death Star our Christmas tree topper.
- If Pat could have one super hero power, he would choose flying; after all, who wouldn’t like to fly?
- Pat is a self-proclaimed diehard Cleveland sports fan.
Vice President of Finance
Joni Roecker has a long history of working with numbers. She received her Bachelors of Science in Accounting from Bowling Green State University, and as well as her CPA certification. Joni worked for a public accounting firm and as Assistant Controller for a private firm before being self-employed.
Joni found out about VLS through her husband, Mike, who had worked on a potential joint sales opportunity with Paul Vincent. Mike learned of an opening for a Staff Accountant at VLS, and he knew who was available. In early 1986, Joni joined the staff of VLS, where she has the monumental task of keeping our finances in good order.
Random Fun Facts
- Much of Joni’s life outside of work revolves around her family, including eight (yes, eight!!) grandchildren.
- If she does find a moment to herself, she relaxes with yoga and reading books. How appropriate that two of her daughters are writers.
- Joni loves to travel; one of her favorite destinations is Las Vegas. We’re still trying to wrap our minds around an accountant who loves Vegas.
Credit and Administrative Manager
Shelley Hammond oversees the Accounts Receivables side of our company, making sure our customers receive statements as needed, making sure that we receive our money and it is recorded properly, and approving credit applications and processes. Her attention to detail and a mind for numbers is critical in the success of our collections process. Shelley has been with VLS since 1995.
It’s a small world and not just in theatre. Proving that who you know is just as important as what you know, Laura heard about a job opening through a friend who happened to work at VLS: Shelley Hammond. Of course, it was Laura’s own fantastic personality and talent that landed her the job in Accounts Payable in 2000.
Laura was born and raised on the east side of Cleveland. She holds an Associate of Arts degree from Cuyahoga Community College and a Bachelor of Arts degree from Baldwin Wallace University. Outside of work, her life revolves around her husband and family, and trying to prove to others that, no really, she is sane. However, when you ask what her favorite gel color is, she’ll tell you it’s Bastard Amber, because she “loves its name.”
Random Fun Facts
- Laura collects pens, so if you visit with her, hold tight to your writing utensil.
- She went to the same school as Halle Berry.
- If she could make a living doing anything, she’d like to work with the physically handicapped.
For someone who lives only two blocks from where she was born, Paula has sure come a long way! Born in Lakewood and raised in Rocky River, Ohio, she first developed a love for theatre during high school, much to the dismay of her engineer father. She helped out with props on a little one-act play and was immediately hooked. She was a lighting intern for the Great Lakes Shakespeare Festival (as it was known back then) and graduated from Ohio University with a BFA in Theatre Production and Design.
Paula’s history with VLS is extensive. In the mid-80s, she learned – through a friend of a friend who worked for “Cercone-Vincent” (as we were known back then!) that we needed some temporary labor, building two-fers for a job. She was unemployed at the time and came in to help. From there, she was hired part-time in shipping, then worked in rental/service (it was one department back then). Paula was hired full-time in product sales in 1986.
Random Fun Facts
- Paula’s favorite gel color is Rosco 39 Skelton Exotic Sangria. Besides loving the color description, she also worked briefly on a production with Tom Skelton back in college, whom she found most interesting.
- At one point or another, Paula has worked in every single department of VLS.
- If she could make a living doing anything, it would be playing with animals (that explains why she has seven cats). She thinks that being a Restaurant Reviewer would be fun, but wouldn’t enjoy having to write.
Born and raised in Cleveland, Ohio Kim Johnson gained experience in accounting and payroll while working for a manufacturing company. But a dip in sales gave her the foresight to start searching for a new job. She answered an ad in the local paper and in 1999 Kim joined the VLS staff as projects administrator. Here, she manages all the accounting details of very complex projects sales to make sure the money is billed and paid appropriately, a challenging task to say the least.
Random Fun Facts
- Kim finds relaxation in cooking, gardening, reading and spending time with her new granddaughter.
- Kim is a fantastic story-teller, and has a plethora of great experiences to share, especially from raising her three boys; ask her about nearly taking out one of her sons with a baby gate (hint: he was a teenager at the time).
- If she could make a living at it, Kim would like to be in social work, where she could offer advice gleaned from her life experience.